Top 10 Benefits of Hugs
Exercise & Nutrition aren’t the only important factors for good health. Hugging is extremely effective at healing sickness, disease, loneliness, depression, anxiety and stress.
Top 10 benefits of hugs are:
- Hugging lifts serotonin levels, elevating mood and creating happiness.
- Hugs strengthen the immune system. The gentle pressure on the sternum stimulates the thymus gland, which regulates and balances the body’s production of white blood cells > keeping you healthy and disease free.
- Hugs can instantly boost oxytocin levels, which reduces feelings of loneliness, isolation, and anger.
- Hugging relaxes muscles by releasing tension in the body. Hugs can take away pain & soothe aches by increasing circulation into the soft tissues.
- Hugs balance our central nervous system between action and rest. The skin’s tone and texture for both people hugging changes, increasing in moisture hydration and electricity in the skin, showing more parasympathetic (relaxation) activity.
- The nurturing touch of a hug builds trust & a sense of safety, which helps with open & honest communication for all ages.
- Hugging boosts self-esteem & shows us that we’re loved & special. The associations of self-worth & tactile sensations from our early years of life are still embedded in our nervous system as adults. The cuddles we received from our parents growing up actually remain ‘imprinted’ at a cellular level & hugs remind us of this comforted feeling, connecting us to our ability to self-love.
- Hugs teach us how to give and receive in an exchange of energy. There is equal value in receiving and being receptive to warmth, as to giving and sharing.
- Hugs are much like meditation and laughter. They teach us to let go and be present right now. Hugs get you out of your predictable circular thinking patterns and connect you with your heart, your feelings & your breath.
- Hugging helps relationships encouraging empathy & understanding. And, it’s synergistic, which means the whole it win-win for both people!
To learn more on how to further improve your health, book a consultation with Dr Rachel Murphy (Osteopath, Clinical Nutritionist) at the Family Wellness Group .
Call 9898 0222 or book online by clicking here.
Dr Rachel Murphy
In clinical practice, I continue to pursue passion for treating infants and children as well as pregnancy care, including pre and postnatal support. I have a strong belief that environment plays a crucial role in health and well being, and therefore treatment management must also include advice on exercise and nutrition, ergonomics, stretching, rehabilitation and lifestyle modification.
> View profile
Good sleep is critical to your health. To make each day a safe, productive one, take steps to make sure you regularly get a good night’s sleep. Make time to switch off, unwind & relax into your beauty sleep tonight! Sleep is AS important to children’s development...
Whether it is drawing, painting, cutting, pasting, modelling or making- ALL children love being creative if they are given the chance, and the act of being creative brings with it so many benefits- engaging kids with creative activities helps develop basic motor...
Top 10 Reasons to exercise in the morning 1. Boosts your metabolism for the entire day- burning calories, building muscle & stimulating energy to use all day 2. Regulates your appetite hormones- (ghrelin) feeling hungry & (leptin) feeling full. 3. Increases...
Sports can be a wonderful place for learning life lessons including: Skill development. Maximising health & fitness to improve quality of life. The value of persistence & determination. Being part of a team or building self-belief & independence....
There are many health benefits that pets provide for both children & adults!
Food is an essential part of everyone’s life and the quality of food you eat determines how well your body functions. Eating a variety of fresh natural food enables us to be healthy and active, to move, work, play, think and learn. Here is a simple guide to thrive…
A few facts on grocery store fruit, vegetables and meat…
Connection & communication can be life-defining. Here are simple ways to create positive habits of expressing love between parents and children every day!
The best way to regulate and control your appetite… DRINK MORE WATER! Drinking a sufficient amount of water keeps your complexion clear and skin glowing, flushes toxins out of your body, aids in good digestion and healthy teeth, and regulates appetite. Also, drinking...
Many students carry backpacks overloaded or improperly fitted, resulting in injuries including neck pain, muscle spasms, tingling hands, headaches & lower back pain. This pain may result in increasing damage to posture & development of the spine. As parents...