Top 10 Benefits of Hugs
Exercise & Nutrition aren’t the only important factors for good health. Hugging is extremely effective at healing sickness, disease, loneliness, depression, anxiety and stress.
Top 10 benefits of hugs are:
- Hugging lifts serotonin levels, elevating mood and creating happiness.
- Hugs strengthen the immune system. The gentle pressure on the sternum stimulates the thymus gland, which regulates and balances the body’s production of white blood cells > keeping you healthy and disease free.
- Hugs can instantly boost oxytocin levels, which reduces feelings of loneliness, isolation, and anger.
- Hugging relaxes muscles by releasing tension in the body. Hugs can take away pain & soothe aches by increasing circulation into the soft tissues.
- Hugs balance our central nervous system between action and rest. The skin’s tone and texture for both people hugging changes, increasing in moisture hydration and electricity in the skin, showing more parasympathetic (relaxation) activity.
- The nurturing touch of a hug builds trust & a sense of safety, which helps with open & honest communication for all ages.
- Hugging boosts self-esteem & shows us that we’re loved & special. The associations of self-worth & tactile sensations from our early years of life are still embedded in our nervous system as adults. The cuddles we received from our parents growing up actually remain ‘imprinted’ at a cellular level & hugs remind us of this comforted feeling, connecting us to our ability to self-love.
- Hugs teach us how to give and receive in an exchange of energy. There is equal value in receiving and being receptive to warmth, as to giving and sharing.
- Hugs are much like meditation and laughter. They teach us to let go and be present right now. Hugs get you out of your predictable circular thinking patterns and connect you with your heart, your feelings & your breath.
- Hugging helps relationships encouraging empathy & understanding. And, it’s synergistic, which means the whole it win-win for both people!
To learn more on how to further improve your health, book a consultation with Dr Rachel Murphy (Osteopath, Clinical Nutritionist) at the Family Wellness Group .
Call 9898 0222 or book online by clicking here.
Dr Rachel Murphy
In clinical practice, I continue to pursue passion for treating infants and children as well as pregnancy care, including pre and postnatal support. I have a strong belief that environment plays a crucial role in health and well being, and therefore treatment management must also include advice on exercise and nutrition, ergonomics, stretching, rehabilitation and lifestyle modification.
> View profile
As well as many of us admiring the French countryside during the recent Tour De France, we can also admire the cultural traditions of their eating habits…
Is it time to rethink how much television your children are exposed to, either directly?
Electronic media for children involving all sedentary activity while sitting down, using very little energy is showing significant negative developmental outcomes including poor…
Facts on the dangers of processed foods They are specifically engineered for over-consumption! Yes they are created to trick you brain and body chemistry want more and more and more! We only burn half as many calories digesting & metabolizing processed foods...
Healthy communication rests at the heart of every healthy relationship, including between parents and children.
These tips are focused on having meaningful chats with your child and will help deepen your relationship, meaning you’ll both feel more connected.
If you’re looking for a way to boost your immune system, here are five super nutrients that will do just that: Vitamin …
Mild stimulation of daily activity and being productive is actually good minor stress for us- it "primes" us to be stronger and more able to adapt to the little bumps in the road that we all encounter in our daily life, whether those bumps be physical or mental. But,...
Your liver is essential not only for everyday vitality, but your best chance at optimum health for a happy life! As well as blood filtration and detoxification, it is your metabolic powerhouse & make no mistake, mistreating your liver WILL catch up with you! Your...
Want to know the Best anti-inflammatory foods for optimal health? Read the specific nutritional factors that will increase your risk of pain due to inflammation. Plus, the top 10 Anti-inflammatory Foods.
It goes without saying that our lungs are one of the most important organs in our body, if we don’t breathe well, we don’t live well!
Did you know that drinking water on a cool day will bring your temperature up just as drinking water on a warm day cool you down. The hypothalamus in the brain is what helps your body to determine whether you should be sweating to cool off or shivering to keep warm,...