Body temperature out of whack? Drink water!
Did you know that drinking water on a cool day will bring your temperature up just as drinking water on a warm day cool you down. The hypothalamus in the brain is what helps your body to determine whether you should be sweating to cool off or shivering to keep warm, but it doesn’t work as well as it should if you are dehydrated. Many people drink less water in the winter because they don’t think they need it… The truth is, you absolutely do! It doesn’t matter what age you are, where you live, what the weather is, what you ate for breakfast, or whether or not you did your homework last night, hydration is essential for everyone. Drink water throughout each day to help your body to maintain the perfect temperature no matter the season.
As well as regulating your body’s temperature, water assists many other functions of the human body, including:
- Cushions joints and improves structural muscle health
- Helps alleviate headaches and dizziness caused by dehydration
- Helps deepen and regulate breathing
- Carries nutrients and oxygen to all cells in the body for immunity and repair
- Moistens oxygen for breathing
- Protects and supports vital organs
- Helps to convert food into energy
- Helps the body absorb nutrients promoting gut health
- Increasing metabolism
- Removes waste promoting detoxification
To learn more on how to further improve your health, book a consultation with Dr Rachel Murphy (Osteopath, Clinical Nutritionist) at the Family Wellness Group.
Call 9898 0222 or book online here.
Dr Rachel Murphy
In clinical practice, I continue to pursue passion for treating infants and children as well as pregnancy care, including pre and postnatal support. I have a strong belief that environment plays a crucial role in health and well being, and therefore treatment management must also include advice on exercise and nutrition, ergonomics, stretching, rehabilitation and lifestyle modification.
> View profile