15 Instant Stress Busters to relieve Stress and Anxiety
15 Instant Stress Busters to relieve Stress and Anxiety
Stress is a perceptual state of mind and comes from your brain, causing your body to release many different chemicals, such as cortisol and serotonin. These chemicals can have an adverse effect on the function of your body if they are over or under-stimulated for optimal function. As an example, cortisol is a steroid hormone that usually helps the body consume fat, metabolize protein, increase blood sugar and reduce pain. Cortisol also suppresses immune system responses, which means during a period of prolonged stress your immune system can be lowered dramatically due to over-regulation of cortisol, making your body to more susceptible to dysfunction and disease. The imbalance of hormone levels due to stress can also cause dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema to become agitated due to immune system compromise. Learning to recognise the underlying triggers of stress and then by having this awareness by developing skills to help minimise the stress is the most important focus for anyone experiencing mental pressure, or nail biting, panic attacks, high level of anxiety, sleepless nights, and even stomach pains. Exercise helps release endorphins in the body that can reduce stress.
15 INSTANT STRESS BUSTERS
- Go for a walk, look up into the sky or gaze at the ocean- seeing the colour blue causes the body to produce calming chemicals, and the fresh air will invigorate and de-stress you.
- Call a close friend or family member, with whom you have a relaxed relationship, for a chat.
- Hold your loved one’s hand- the gentle contact provides immediate relief from stress.
- Turn off your computer- think of a fantasy place, like a tropical island, for five minutes before restarting.
- Take a shower before bed.
- Embrace aromatherapy- top stress-relieving scents include orange, grapefruit, lemon, peppermint and lavender.
- Drink green tea- great for aiding relaxation.
- Eat berries- they taste great and are high in antioxidants.
- Pat your pets or sit and read with your children.
- Listen to slow songs- lowers heart rate and blood pressure.
- Pick some fresh flowers or buy yourself a bunch of your favourites.
- Enjoy some dark chocolate- it contains antioxidants to increase feel-good chemicals.
- Donate your loose change to charity- you will feel good and help someone at the same time.
- Wear yellow clothes- it is associated with laughter, happiness and good times, making you feel optimistic because the brain releases more serotonin making you feel good!
- Smile more!
Dr Rachel Murphy
In clinical practice, I continue to pursue passion for treating infants and children as well as pregnancy care, including pre and postnatal support. I have a strong belief that environment plays a crucial role in health and well being, and therefore treatment management must also include advice on exercise and nutrition, ergonomics, stretching, rehabilitation and lifestyle modification.
> View profile
Here’s how to use fitness to de-stress and improve detoxification: Stay in the now- When’s the last time you tuned in to your body as you were exercising, rather than tune out by distracting yourself such as with music? You can experience the benefits of mind/body...
Stretching can serve to enhance your quality of life at every age! Top benefits of Stretching include: Improved circulation Stretching improves circulation of blood to the muscles and joints. Increased blood circulation, of course, brings nutrients to our cells and...
While lying down and shutting your eyes may help to ease a headache or migraine, it’s not usually a preferred solution when you have a busy life to lead and things to do. When a migraine hits, the only thing that it’s poor sufferer really wants is a remedy that will...
Sweaty palms, feet, face or torso? Excess sweating can often be linked to an overactive sympathetic nervous system associated with too much internal heat in the body with strain on the digestive system and liver detoxification pathways, therefore initiating sweating...
Concentration is like a muscle that requires regular exercise to strengthen. All children can learn strategies and engage in practices that help improve their ability to focus and sustain their attention. This is a very important skill for kids to acquire. Most...
To detoxify means to give new life, vitality and vigor. Fortunately, our bodies are naturally equipped to detoxify and regulate optimum circulation for our health. Nothing fancy or expensive needs to be taken, or applied to ‘kick start’ a detox for your body, there...
We all need a vision to strive for, a dream to take action towards & a purpose to live for! Do your children see you continuing to learn new skills, show commitment to your health, and set goals to work towards? BE what you want your children to BE- every day they...
We might all be ‘busy’ but do we prioritise ‘activity and exercise’? Here’s a great list of simple ways to increase your physical activity.
How well do you take care of your teeth? Do you know which foods keep our teeth and gums in their best condition throughout life, leading to improved overall health! When it comes to stains and discolouration of teeth, coffee, black tea and smoking the...
Did you know your metabolism works 5 TIMES more efficiently when exercising in cooler weather? Benefits include Increased oxygenation to your red blood cells to activate muscle spindle fibre activation- toning muscle quicker Stimulation of your body cells to produce...